Inside Callaway's Original Location 1954 (Pictured: R.M. Callaway, Lorene Callaway, Bob Callaway, Betty Ann Callaway Quinnelly, David Callaway, Dwight Callaway)
History Callaway’s Yard & Garden Center was opened by the Callaway family in 1954 and is still family owned and operated. Almost seventy years ago in a small shop in Jackson, Mississippi, Robert Moody and Lorene Callaway fulfilled a long-held dream of providing healthy plants, quality garden products and old-fashioned service to their neighbors and community. Their vision seemed to strike a chord in Jackson. Within three years, Callaway’s outgrew the small garden shop and moved and expanded into what they called a Yard & Garden Center, a full service establishment for home gardeners, and a new and innovative concept in the area. David Callaway was in junior high when his family opened the first shop, but he was deeply involved in the business from the very beginning. His wife, Betty Callaway, later joined the family business and was primarily responsible for developing Callaway’s Christmas store. Their three children grew up working part time at Callaway’s. David and Betty's son Brint Callaway his wife Annette Callaway and Brint's sister Alison Callaway Richardson are still involved in Callaway's. Today Callaway’s serves customers from all over the state of Mississippi and throughout the South.
David Callaway about 1963